Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sweet Dreams

Happy Tuesday! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was very quiet... I really appreciate the luxury of being able to sort of shut out the rest of the world and hibernate with my little family for a few days. As long as we have snacks and wine. I'm not a total cave woman.

I spent most of yesterday deep cleaning my house. Lots of scrubbing, scouring, rinsing and repeating. I love starting the week with a clean house, but I admit I also had other motives in mind. I'm clearing the way for a revamp of our master bedroom. Right now we have hand-me-down furniture with old bedding, a rug that no longer worked in the living room, pictures that don't seem to work anywhere else in our house, and laundry baskets (yes, plural) with clothes waiting for me to fold and put away. Trรจs chic, no? 

My goal for the room is a space that is cozy--a little cocoon where we can snuggle up with H for movie night (a Friday tradition in our house, complete with popcorn)--with equal doses of sophistication and humor. I guess it's the Gemini in me, but I love design with duality. Spaces that strike a balance between two extremes (masculine and feminine, traditional and modern, boho and classic) are always what I'm drawn to. And I think in a space like a bedroom, balancing the tastes of the people sharing it is especially important.

The jumping off point for the room was the bedding. I became enamored with shibori after seeing countless Pinterest and Instagram pics, and when I found the Vera Wang duvet cover on eBay for a steal, I knew it was meant to be. After I saw the deep navy pattern in person, I felt the perfect complement would be pink, but I was hesitant. I didn't know how to pull it off without it looking too Preppy Handbook, knowwhatimean? 

Enter one of my favorite bloggers (and total girl crush), Chassity. If y'all don't already follow her, hop on over there right now get yourself a little dose of fabulous. She shared a post yesterday about adding pink to your decor. If someone as stylish as Chassity recommends it, it's reassurance enough for me! 

This board is part inspiration, part reality. There are pieces I've already collected (bedding, table, top throw pillow), pieces that are on my shopping list (rugs, prints, hurricanes), and pieces that I will most definitely be searching for in a lower price range (that gold feather pillow? I mean, come ON. If someone has $500 to throw down on something like that, I have a big honkin' list of worthy charities that could put that money to much better use). Anyway, I think it strikes that balance I'm seeking. Just enough sophistication to look like a "grown up" room, just enough humor to keep it from being too grown up, just enough pink that my husband will allow without protest.
 
Benjamin Moore Pink Opal paint; Bottled Liquors print; Peony prints; Lalita rug; Sheepskin; Navy tufted chair; Faceted hurricanes; Gold feather pillow


How do y'all navigate decorating a shared space? I'm curious how others do it. XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this board! The layered rugs look fantastic together, and pink and blue are great together! Thanks so much for including my prints here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gaby! Your prints are so lovely. Top of my shopping list!

      Delete